Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm. D)
Pharm.D - admissions open for the year 2021-22
The KLE College of Pharmacy, Bengaluru, an institution run by KAHER from 2014, is situated at S Nijalingappa College Campus, II Block, Rajajinagar, Bangalore. The College is a nurturing ground for pharmaceutical professionals. In recognition of the excellence of its educational standards, the KLE College of Pharmacy has been accredited for 5 years by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) & National Assesment & Accrediation Council (NAAC), AICTE & PCI.
In keeping with its objective of providing the best possible Pharmaceutical education, the College has built up a strong infrastructure. This comprises of highly knowledgeable and experienced faculty, and facilities that enable students to gain a contemporary education. Continuous interaction with industry is maintained to ensure that the learning program remains relevant to the changing trends in pharmaceuticals. The College is constantly seeking to upgrade the quality of its education and actively participates in research to remain on the cutting edge. Collaborations with foreign universities are also being planned with this objective.
Role of Pharm. D
At the end of the course, the clinical pharmacists develop and acquire competencies (knowledge, skill and attitude) to provide pharmaceutical care services, drug and poison information services, patient counseling, identify drug-drug interactions, monitor adverse drug reactions, carry out therapeutic drug monitoring, help in drug dosage adjustment in special population and renal/hepatic patients, assist/co-ordinate in the conduct of clinical trials, promote rational use of medicines and ultimately contribute to better patient care.
There is a huge need of a Pharm D course in a country like India where there are huge drug related problems, irrational drug use and non-compliance to therapy among patients suffering from various chronic diseases Pharmaceutical Care by a physician along with the technical expertise of clinical Pharmacist is the ultimate and best way of achieving better patient care.
These professionals write information related to healthcare, the medical profession and medical science in general for industry professionals, as well as general audiences. Not everyone has the skill set required to do this type of work and Pharm.D graduates are ideally suited for these lucrative jobs.
Hospitals and Healthcare Centres
As society's health care needs have changed and expanded, there has been an increased emphasis on provision of care through drug information and poison information and Pharmacovigilance activities. Pharm.D graduates will find placement in hospitals as Drug Information Pharmacist or Clinical Pharmacist providing pharmaceutical care.
With a large number of Pharmaceutical companies opting for clinical trials the industry is heading towards a business worth 1.4 billion by way of clinical trials. Pharm.D graduates here have a scope to work as clinical research associates and data managers.
Community Pharmacy and Consultant Pharmacists
Pharmacists can serve patients and the community by providing information and advice on health, providing medications and associated services, and by referring patients to other sources of help and care, such as physicians, when necessary. Likewise, advances in the use of computers in pharmacy practice now allow pharmacists to spend more time educating patients and maintaining and monitoring patient records. Pharm.D graduates have opportunities to be entrepreneurs by starting their own community pharmacy.
As faculty members work in pharmacy colleges involved in teaching, research, public service, and patient care.
Pharmacovigilance and Drug Safety
There is no shortage of jobs in this field as high-quality pharmacovigilance practice makes for good business dealing. Students in this field can get jobs in various pharmaceutical companies and earn attractive and handsome salary packages.
ELIGIBILITY FOR ADMISSION TO THE COURSE
a) Qualifying Examination
- a) Pharm.D. Part-I Course – A pass in any of the following examinations -
(1) 10+2 examination with Physics and Chemistry as compulsory subjects along with one of the following subjects: Mathematics or Biology.
(2) A pass in D.Pharm course from an institution approved by the Pharmacy Council of India under section 12 of the Pharmacy Act.
(3) Any other qualification approved by the Pharmacy Council of India as equivalent to any of the above examinations. Provided that a student should complete the age of 17 years on or before 31st December of the year of admission to the course. Provided that there shall be reservation of seats for the students belonging to the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and other Backward Classes in accordance with the instructions issued by the Central Government/State Government/Union Territory Administration as the case may be from time to time.
The candidate should have been born on or before 31.12.1993.
DURATION OF THE COURSE
The duration of the course shall be six academic years (five years of study and one year of internship or residency) full time with each academic year spread over a period of not less than two hundred working days. The period of six years duration is divided into two phases:
- Phase I– consisting of First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth academic year.
- Phase II– consisting of internship or residency training during sixth year involving posting in speciality units. It is a phase of training wherein a student is exposed to actual pharmacy practice or clinical pharmacy services and acquires skill under supervision so that he or she may become capable of functioning independently.
A candidate is required to put in atleast 80% attendance in theory and practical subjects separately. The candidates should complete the prescribed course satisfactorily to be eligible to appear for the examination. 80% attendance is compulsory to be eligible to take up sessional examination.
MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION
Medium of instruction will be English
COURSE OF STUDY
The course of study for Pharm.D. shall include the subjects as given below.